Jun 13, 2010

uncanny cat

i was sitting in my gypsy wagon home in second life. i'd stopped in after a few days absence to check messages and clear up notices. some commotion was going on under the wagon...oh it was fussby, my cat, banging around disturbed and frantic.
i know very well he is just a computer program, a very clever one that behaves like a cat! and yet i felt his disturbed state. he wanted to be with me, but has never figured out to go up the stairs and enter the wagon.
i went outside and he ran to me right away. a creepy feeling came over me. he missed me. he was lonely. omg. too creepy.
i sat on the ground and he came over to my lap. i petted him. he purred.
i'd been about to click off, but decided to put a pillow down by the river and lie down. he came over and lay near me, calm now. 

i left my computer on so my avatar would remain with him until i went to bed in real life and left second life.
this morning i checked on him and he was sleeping peacefully in his basket, even as i did a few chores around the wagon.

 
it's the uncanny valley created by my own projections...or is it?


-

3 comments:

  1. makes me think of a friend's response to the Schrodinger's Qat situation, ie: "What if you're the qat?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a movie about Schroedinger's cat, A Serious Man, i think the protagonist is the cat, and also controls the box. hmmm did you seeit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. have not seen that ... am now curious

    ReplyDelete